Sunday, April 1, 2012

Real Life Inquiry

      For my real life inquiry I went to a local Elementary school and observed a reading lesson that was conducted in a first grade classroom. The goal for their reading lesson that day was to identify cause and effect within the story. The teacher asked the class to get out their reading books from their desks and they all opened to a story about kids who invent great things. They read the story as a whole group using a choral reading approach. The teacher would stop every two pages or so and ask them a question or two regarding the information in the story.
      After the class read the story as a group, the teacher told the children to find their partners for peanut butter and jelly reading. The children got up from their seats and found their partners. They re-read the story with their partners. I observed that when one of the children get stuck, their partner would help them sound the words out. It was nice to see a new strategy that I had never observed before and saw the benefits that the technique had.
     After the peanut butter and jelly activity, the teacher pulled up an interactive vocabulary game on the classroom smartboard. When the children were asked to go to the board, they had to first read the sentence, and then fill in the blank with the word they thought belonged.
   I really enjoyed this observation opportunity. It was nice to see choral reading take place as well as a new strategy that had great benefits to the children. They were able to help each other out with their struggles and work as a team.

4 comments:

  1. I really like the name: PB&J reading buddies!!! I think that this is a great way to get kids excited about reading buddies. This is a neat lesson plan, thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute name for buddy reading: peanut butter jelly reading! I also like how the teacher had the students choral read before they went and ready by themselves. This helps with fluency, and will build confidence among the students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love calling it peanut butter and jelly reading, too. I think things like that make it more fun for the students. I love that the partners helped each other out. It sounds like a really positive reading environment for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, that is so cute. I bet the kiddos just loved this because they got to participate at different levels by choral reading and partner reading (pb&j). I think that them having the initial reading would help to initiate the process where they can then build their comprehension and vocabulary in the secondary reading.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete