Sunday, February 5, 2012

Bell and Jarvis/ IRA&NAEYC

While reading these articles, there were three main facts that stuck out to me. The first point is, providing a print rich environment for your students no matter how old they are. I am hoping to teach PreK or Kindergarten and in previous classes, I have learned the importance of providing a print rich environment for children. It allows them to  make connections with their everyday lives and helps them realize that print has meaning. I loved how in the Bell and Jarvis article both teachers brought in items from popular restaurants, well liked movies, and other items that the children would easily recognize. The second point that I would like to write about is how Bell included her children in the classroom print rich environment. She was able to connect the children name's with recognizable environmental print artifacts. Her documentation proved just how powerful this was in helping the children learn how to read and recognize their letters and letter sounds! The final point that I would like to write about is the connection the two articles made about expecting to have children from diverse language as well as reading backgrounds. All of the children in the class were able to recognize the environmental print items brought in by the teachers, and documentation was provided that showed how ESL students were learning their letters and learning how to read based on this method. It gave me some good ideas that I would love to use in my classroom one day.

1 comment:

  1. Emily! I agree. The more children are around different types of print even if they "can't" read, the better. Something as simple as just being familiar with different words and the way they look can really help when it comes time for school. I also really liked that they connected reading in the classroom to things the students were already very comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete